Judge Issues Ruling on Karmelo Anthony’s Request for a Retrial

Texas Judge Shuts Down New Trial Bid for Teen Convicted of Stabbing High School Athlete to Death

Justice held firm in Collin County this weekend.

A judge has denied Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial in the murder of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf.

Retired District Judge Michael Chitty issued the ruling on Saturday, August 22, after a two-day evidentiary hearing.

Anthony, then 17 and a student at Frisco Centennial High School, was charged in the April 2, 2025, stabbing death of Austin Metcalf of Frisco Memorial High School. The killing happened during a Frisco Independent School District track meet at Kuykendall Stadium.

Trial evidence showed Anthony entered a tent designated for Memorial High School athletes. After multiple requests to leave, an altercation broke out. Anthony pulled a knife from a backpack and fatally stabbed Metcalf once in the chest.

Anthony immediately confessed to the killing. He was charged with murder as an adult.

A Collin County jury convicted him of murder on June 9, 2026. The jury rejected his self-defense claim and the lesser option of manslaughter. The same jury later sentenced him to 35 years in prison and rejected a finding of “sudden passion” that could have reduced the punishment range.

After the conviction, Anthony hired a new legal team and demanded a retrial.

His lawyers claimed courtroom seating restrictions violated the Sixth Amendment right to a public trial. They also argued that an informal “gentleman’s agreement” between the original defense attorneys and prosecutors improperly shaped the case.

Under that arrangement, both sides agreed to keep out character evidence, reputation testimony, and extraneous acts involving either teen so the trial would focus only on what happened at the tent.

The defense claimed the agreement fell apart on the final day of the guilt-innocence phase when prosecutors said it would not apply if Anthony testified. A dispute followed in chambers. Anthony then chose not to take the stand. His new lawyers said that decision cost him a complete defense.

The motion also sought the recusal of original trial judge John Roach Jr. because of public statements he made after the verdict. That request was granted. Judge Chitty was assigned to hear the new-trial motion.

During the two-day hearing, original defense attorneys Mike Howard and Toby Shook testified about their understanding of the agreement and how it affected trial strategy. They said the defense had planned for Anthony to testify about the confrontation but abandoned that plan after the dispute.

The hearing also brought forward background information that had been kept from the original jury.

Prosecutors presented evidence from Anthony’s phone, school records, and other sources. This included text messages in which Anthony allegedly described fantasizing about stabbing someone and licking the blood off the blade.

Additional messages referenced an obsession with knives and guns, threats, and statements about fighting.

Records showed Anthony had been enrolled around age 6 or 7 in a behavioral program at Louisiana State University for children who struggled with behavioral issues. Those issues included difficulties keeping their hands to themselves after repeated school incidents involving pushing, punching, and related conduct while living in Louisiana.

Other material involved reports of stalking by a former girlfriend on the morning of the stabbing and various disciplinary entries.

Judge Chitty reviewed the claims and the new evidence. He denied the request for a new trial.

The jury heard the facts of the stabbing. They rejected self-defense. They imposed a 35-year sentence.

Attempts to reopen the case after the fact did not change the outcome.

Austin Metcalf was a 17-year-old high school athlete. He was stabbed once in the chest at a track meet after asking someone to leave a team tent.

A Texas jury delivered a verdict. A Texas judge has now upheld it.

Accountability stands.

Scroll to Top