Peter Doocy questioned Donald Trump during a press exchange about whether the administration anticipated Iran’s reported retaliation against several Gulf nations following recent military operations.
Doocy asked whether the White House had received intelligence suggesting Iran could target countries such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Kuwait. Trump responded that even top experts did not expect those nations to be affected because they had maintained relatively stable relationships with Iran over the years.
During his remarks, Trump argued that recent U.S. military actions significantly weakened Iran’s military infrastructure, including missile and drone capabilities. He also reiterated criticism of the Obama-era Iran nuclear agreement, claiming his administration’s withdrawal from the deal prevented Iran from strengthening its military position further.
Trump additionally stated that U.S. operations had heavily damaged Iranian naval and drone-related assets. He described the military response as one of the strongest actions ever taken against Iran’s strategic capabilities, while emphasizing concerns over Iran’s growing missile development programs.
Meanwhile, Marco Rubio said Friday that there had been “a little bit of movement” in ongoing diplomatic discussions aimed at reducing tensions between Iran, the United States, and Israel. Rubio cautioned that negotiations remain fragile and said he was not yet ready to predict a breakthrough.
The situation continues to center heavily around the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route for oil exports. Concerns over disruptions in the waterway have contributed to uncertainty in international energy markets as diplomatic and military tensions remain elevated in the region.