Authorities have identified the two teenage suspects involved in Monday’s shooting at a San Diego religious center. Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, were both found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds shortly after the incident.
The attack occurred at the Islamic Center of San Diego, located in the Clairemont Mesa East neighborhood. The center, the largest mosque in San Diego County, includes a school that was in session at the time. Three people were fatally shot near the entrance, including a security guard who reportedly intervened to stop the attack.
The suspects were found deceased in a nearby vehicle. Officials said no officers discharged their weapons during the response, and the threat was neutralized by approximately 1:07 p.m. Children and staff at the adjacent school were evacuated safely. A nearby landscaper was also fired upon but sustained no injuries.
Law enforcement confirmed that one suspect reportedly took a firearm from his parents’ home and left a note. Authorities have not disclosed the contents of the note but are investigating potential motives. The mother of one suspect told police her son had been suicidal and took multiple weapons from her vehicle.
Investigators also reported finding anti-Islamic writing in the vehicle and on one of the firearms. Agencies including the San Diego Police Department and the FBI are reviewing evidence to determine the full circumstances of the shooting and whether the attack was motivated by hate.
Community leaders and officials, including Mayor Todd Gloria and Governor Gavin Newsom, expressed condolences and emphasized enhanced security at other houses of worship. The Islamic Center continues to provide educational and interfaith programs and has described the event as “outrageous” while reaffirming its role as a community hub.